The Sabal Story
More than two decades of style and value
From our humble beginnings in 1994 as a boutique inner-city builder, to our current position as one of Alberta’s premier single and multi-family home builders, Sabal Homes has evolved at an impressive pace. Despite this, we remain true to our roots: innovative homes designed for living and crafted for life.
Our goal has never been to be the biggest builder in the industry, just the best at what we do. Even as we’ve grown over the years, we have always maintained a entrepreneurial spirit. Today, we’re proudly Hopewell Residential, a recognized leader in community development, residential and multi-family construction.
Twenty plus years of designing and building homes has taught us many things. Our greatest lesson, while tastes and trends may change, craftsmanship, service and innovation never go out of style.
Choose a Year to Explore the Sabal Timeline
- We open our doors as Basal Homes, building in-fills and condos in Calgary’s inner city.
- We are proud to become an accredited builder with the Alberta New Home Warranty Program.
- Our new multi-family development in Martha’s Haven, a Hopewell community, opens.
- We officially become a Certified Master Builder.
- Emerald Ridge opens: a new multi-family development in the south Calgary community of Parkland.
- Sabal Homes wins SAM awards for Best Billboard and Best Print Ad for the CHBA Calgary Region. Sabal is also recognized as a finalist at the Alberta Home Builder Awards for the Beaumont show home.
- We set a new Sabal record for home sales, selling 71 homes in 2001.
- We are recognized as finalists for Best Billboard by the CHBA Calgary Region and by the Alberta Home Builder Awards for the Emerald Ridge multi-family development.
- Along with the Hopewell Group of Companies, Sabal Homes begins its annual Sabal Gives Back initiative, encouraging the recognition of Canada’s veterans by volunteering at local charities on November 11th.
- Our company nearly reaches triple digit home sale numbers, with a total of 98 homes sold in 2002.
- Sabal Homes wins the Alberta Home Builder’s Association award for Home Innovation for the Vectis show home. The Ascent home is a finalist in the same category.
- We are a National SAM Award winner for Best Direct Mail Piece, winner of Best New Show Home for the Synergy model, and also win the award for Best Billboard at the CHBA Calgary Region SAM Awards.
- A new record: 137 homes sold in one year!
- We add Airdrie to the family, with show homes open in the new Hopewell community of Sagewood.
- We celebrate 10 years of homebuilding in Calgary.
- We partner with Meals on Wheels, an organization that delivers hot food to community members in need. Sabal team members are still active with the group 10+ years later.
- The designSense Studio’s official unveiling makes a big impression on new homebuyers in Calgary.
- With steadily increasing numbers, we sell 154 new homes in 2004.
- Sabal is the National SAM awards winner for Best Direct Mail Piece and Best Print Ad, and is also a finalist in the Innovation category for the Ascent 2 show home.
- Winner of Best Outdoor Billboard and Best New Home for the Ascent 2 in Copperfield by the CHBA Calgary Region, Sabal is also a finalist for Best Print Ad, Best Direct Mailer Piece, Best Sales Centre and Best Radio Commercial.
- Sabal Homes sees record sales for the month of October, with 53 homes sold for the month, nearly half of those coming from the Hopewell community of Saddlecrest.
- The Hopewell community of Creekside sells out much sooner than expected. This community includes three innovative Sabal home models – Evolution, Vectis and Envision.
- Home sales are on the rise with 233 homes sold in 2005.
- We take home a win for Best Billboard and Best New Home for the Ascent 2 model in Copperfield at the CHBA Calgary Region SAM Awards.
- Our small screen debut: a sponsored television series with Shaw TV, Home Front is designed to give viewers an inside look at new home ownership, including new and innovative home features.
- When the Saddlecrest show home closes, we are the first builder to sell out of lots in this new northeast community.
- Copperfield Chalet, Sabal’s townhome development consisting of 29 units, launches on May 17th and sells out in two days.
- Just weeks after the success of Chalet in Copperfield, we release 19 townhomes and 12 stacked townhomes in Chalet Creekside.
- “SpecPlus” – now known as “qwik,” our spec home program, launches in the Hopewell community of Sagewood.
- Our fashionable Scandinavian-inspired Arkitekt Series launches in Copperfield.
- Secord, Hopewell’s first community in the City of Edmonton, welcomes our show home debut.
- Sabal is the national SAM awards winner for Best Direct Mail Piece and Best Print Ad. Sabal is also a finalist in Innovation for their Ascent 2 show home.
- We earn 14 finalist nominations, including Builder of the Year for both single-family and multi-family, and win for Best Moving Media at the CHBA Calgary Region SAM Awards.
- The accolades continue: Winner of Best New Home for the Ascent 4 in Secord at the CHBA Edmonton Region SAM Awards.
- Sabal’s Ascent show home wins the Award of Excellence in Edmonton for its uncommonly stylish appeal and thoughtful, innovative floorplan.
- At the CHBA Calgary Region SAM Awards, Sabal receives 13 finalist nominations including Multi-Family Builder of the Year – we win for Best New Home for the Ovation in Riversong.
- Sabal journeys west to Cochrane and begins building in the community of Riversong.
- Happy Birthday! Sabal Homes celebrates its 15th anniversary in 2009.
- Sabal continues its pattern of steady growth and reaches a milestone of 100 staff in Calgary and Edmonton.
Sabal receives 13 finalist nominations including
Multi-Family Builder of the Year and is the winner for Best New Home for the Ovation in Riversong, Cochrane at the CHBA Calgary Region SAM Awards.
- Our Chalet No3 multi-family development opens in Copperfield.
- Sabal wins Builder of the Year – Multi-Family and Best New Home – Multi-Family, plus 16 finalist nominations including Best New Design and Best Print Ad at the CHBA Calgary Region SAM Awards.
- We receive 11 finalist nominations including Best Single-Family Home and win for Best Sales and Information Centre in Trumpeter at the CHBA Edmonton Region SAM Awards.
- Sabal brings its annual Sabal Gives Back initiative to its Edmonton office to have all members of the Sabal team volunteer with local charitable organizations.
- We partner with Rational Kitchens, one of Europe’s largest and most respected cabinet manufacturers. Rational Kitchens offers German-engineered cabinets for our kitchens, bathrooms and laundry rooms.
- Previous records are shattered with 2,245 homes built by 2011.
- Our Chalet No4 multi-family development opens in Copperfield.
- Our Ascent model wins Best New Home at the CHBA Calgary Region SAM Awards.
- Sabal Homes and Hopewell Residential Communities announce the unification of our two companies to become Hopewell Residential.
- Chalet No6 opens in Copperfield.
- SabalSmart, our new line of attached homes, launches in Mahogany.
- Sabal sells its remaining laned homes available in Reunion, ending a successful run in the community.
- With sales in Reunion drawing to a close, Sabal introduces new Front Garage homes on amenity lots in Heron Pointe at Reunion, Airdrie.
- Our Linea model opens in Mahogany with four bedrooms and walkout basement, making it our largest show home to date.
- Sabal’s new office space and designSense Studio opens its doors to its valued clients & partners in Edmonton.
- Sabal achieves 370 single-family sales, for 59% growth over 2012. Combined with Edmonton single-family home sales and Calgary multi-family sales, we help nearly 600 people become new homeowners in 2013.
- Sabal celebrates 20 years of building award-winning homes.
- Sabal Homes unveils newly-created rear-attached garage homes in the community of Mahogany.